New HomeNew About MeNew TutorialsNew Peachy Things

Sunday, April 29, 2012

May the Force be with you...

Okay, so Star Wars lovers, breathe. No, I don't know the real name of the robe-thing that Yoda, or any Jedi knight for that matter, wears. 
Rambo came home from baseball with an invitation to a Star Wars birthday party.  In fine print, written so innocently it said, "Wear your favorite Star Wars costume."  Sure thing, sweetie.  We have a lightsaber from the General Dollar and that's about it.  My son thinks my sewing skills are way better than they really are, so he looked at me like, 'duh, Mom.  Just make something.'

With much dreading I asked Rambo which character it was to be.  I was hoping for something hard, like R2D2 (yeah, not really.  I'm not insane).

"Yoda.  No, Darth! Vader!" came the reply. 

Now comes the wicked Mommyology that we all do.  Come on, don't look all horrified or innocent.  You manipulate your kid just like I do.

"But son, Darth Vader is a bad guy and I bet that mask gets hot."  So, Yoda it was.

The last time I had to send him somewhere in costume was Cowboy Day at school, for which I made a cowboy shirt (from scratch), chaps, vest, and scarf.  My husband threatened to commit me if I went off my rocker like that again, so I felt like I was safe to do just the Yoda robe thing and maybe some ears.  I didn't want my kid showing up looking dorky when everyone else just had a lightsaber or Star Wars shirt.

For the robe I used a tutorial found here:  http://www.degraeve.com/jedirobe/
I sewed it out of the cheapest broadcloth I could find but did finish all the seams so it wouldn't come apart if we actually decide to play with it.  I used a 40% off coupon at the Lobby, so my fabric was seriously about $4.50.  I would have thrifted something but in my haste to Git R Done I took the easy way out.

Want to make some Yoda ears?

Supplies:

1 sheet of green craft foam
Sewing machine or glue gun

1.  Draw out your basic ear shape as below.  I did mine from simple paper and kept trimming until I got the size right.

2.  Cut your ears out of foam X 2.

3.  Roll into the ear shape and stitch at the bottom.  Remember to make a left and a right ear.  I almost didn't.



4.  Cut ear slits and let Yoda go defeat Darth Vader.


**Breaking party news:  My kid and one other showed up in a Star Wars outfit.  The ears came off in the kid's driveway and the robe is wadded up and filthy in the back of my hub's truck.  I'm gonna barf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!