New HomeNew About MeNew TutorialsNew Peachy Things

Friday, June 8, 2012

Pillowcase Dress and Romper

So I have a confession to make.  I am a used to be hater of pillowcase dresses.  Don't ask me why.  It always seemed to me that if one possessed the skills to sew and read a pattern, then make something that uses those skills, darn it.  A few months back I bought some pink seersucker with elephants embroidered on it. The lady at Hancock's commented that it would make cute pillowcase dresses. I seriously thought, 'yeah right, maybe never.' But then. 

One of my friends showed up with her baby in a pillowcase romper and I fell in love.  I had to make one and I had just the seersucker pink fabric to use.  I could imagine my girls in those outfits with their initials embroidered on the front and set to making.

I started with the dress, because that was pretty straightforward.  We were at a family function when I took these pics, so I couldn't force my kids into posing whilst bribing and threatening.  I had to take what I could get.

I adapted this tutorial for a pillowcase dress: http://www.themotherhuddle.com/tutorial-fat-quarter-pillow-case-dress/

Then came the bubble.  I had a vintage pattern for the shorts and I made the top from the aforementioned tut.  I was sewing the shorts fronts together at 7:45pm the night before the family party and realized with a sickening thud that I had cut my pieces wrong and my strips were running sideways.  What???  I've been sewing how long?  OmygoodnesswhatamIgonnado???  I was obviously trying to get too much project out of too little fabric.  I make a desperate call to Hancocks and begged them to wait for me (they close at 8pm and I was about 12 minutes away).  I started screaming at the kids to get in the van (Rambo was in shorts only and the baby was past bedtime).  We made it to Hancocks in 10 minutes and the gracious ladies cut me more fabric.  Crisis averted, except my hubs would threaten to commit me again.  So, with my little detour, I finished the bubble at 11:15pm (taking a long break for bath and bedtime).  It was worth it.


And lastly, just for kicks, all three.  Maybe one day I'll get all three looking at the camera and smiling.  Then they'll go to college.





1 comment:

  1. Hello,Cute post, the link you have above themotherhuddle.com no longer is there. Do you have the pattern info that you used?
    I too have never made a pillowcase dress, but maybe it will happen.
    Thank you.
    Please email me if you are able to send the pattern info to jedengler@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!