New HomeNew About MeNew TutorialsNew Peachy Things

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The State of Things

So there is a LOT going on at our house that I've been meaning to share here.  Like, I've been meaning to share it here for 3 months.  Life just happens and sitting to write at the computer whilst my house slowly fills with stuff seems to be the least of priorities.

The biggest thing happening here is this:


Yes, you read the chalkboard correctly, we have joined the growing number of homeschoolers.  We've thrown ourselves headlong down this path for so many reasons, namely, I wanted more time with my kids.  Not just any kind of time, but the kind that connects us.  The kind that pours into them.  I also wanted more tree houses, forts, bike rides, tea parties, and the like to happen here.  They happened far too seldom between the months of August and May.

So, I decided what curriculum to buy, prayed earnestly for a spot to open up at our local Classical Conversations group, and plunged into spending ALL THE FREAKING TIME with my kids.  I say it like that lest you think that I'm one of those that want my kids underfoot at every waking moment.  I am not.  And I want to make sure you know that, and also, that if you feel this way, it is okay.

Let me digress here for a teeny bit.  I am one of those mamas that swore I could never homeschool.  I thought it was a horrible option (I mean, what about socialization???) and that it was NOT for me.  My hubs suggested homeschool several times over the past few years and I bristled like a scared skunk (and my attitude was just as stinky, let me assure you).  So the fact that I initiated the conversation this time shows a major heart change for me.  I basically surrendered and said, 'Okay Lord.'  That was when I found out that there were a LOT of families out there just like mine who were homeschooling.  I had wondered where all the women who were wired like me were hanging out, and now I've discovered  they were at home.  Homeschooling.

So, let's pick up the saga on August 20, 2014.  Our first day to ever homeschool.  We got up and dressed and I announced school would start at 0900.  The kids begged to go ahead and start now.  It was a great day.  We had fun and it was easy.  August 21 rolled around and it was more of the same.  Caitlin was a bit of a problem, but manageable.
This was our joke picture.  You know, the one where non-homeschoolers think we do life in our pajamas all day???  Notice the scowl on the baby's face?


Then preschool started.  I braced myself for a screaming Caitlin as I left her at school while her brother and sister climbed back into the van with me.  There was no screaming.  School at home was still sweet.  There were major behavioral victories.  I LOVED IT.  We were done in time to collect Cate from school and the rest of the kid day was spent playing with each other.
I did make her a school dress that she refused to wear.  Of course.


Then came the day that I felt like I was wrestling cats all day.  Literally.  I mean, we're talking about addition and the comment during a pause was about Power Rangers.  Really?  Really?  AGGGGGHHHHH!!!!  I wanted to scream.  Then came the brave soul who asked, "Can't we skip school today?"  I think my head spun on that one while fire and venom spewed from my mouth.

This past weekend was quiet and I failed to spend the hour or so getting everything assembled for upcoming school week.  I had to dig through the folders I have rearranged 5 times to come up with all of our work.  So today was awful.  Pure awful.  Lillie pouted for some reason and was so ugly I dropped her clip (I may explain that soon enough).  Aubrey hated copywork (I knew he would) and complained through the whole assignment.  I am hanging on, knowing that it will get worse still before it gets better.



I had a wise friend I've just met explain to me that the adjustment to homeschooling is like the adjustment to marriage.  No one will tell you the truth.  The truth that the first year of marriage is the hardest thing ever.  You look at your spouse and wonder what possessed you to willingly surrender your freedom to live with someone who can't manage to rinse the toothpaste out of the bottom of the sink (when in a fit of I-can't-stand-this-anymore I told him what I thought of his dried up pool of toothpaste in the bottom of the sink, he calmly informed me that I had many annoying habits that he just lived with.  Talk about wind out of your sails).  13 years have passed and I ache to think how much I adore the man (who now rinses the toothpaste out of the sink).  I have willingly surrendered my 8am -2pm  freedom that came with kids who go to school.  It is hard and I feel like I have lost my mind.  Yet in the chafing of this adjustment, there are bright spots that I cling to.

A bright spot.  Aubrey was asked to write ten o'clock in digital time on the board.  He wrote it, calling it the fake time, and then looked at his watch and recorded the 'real' time.  Why do I think that is so funny???/



I'll keep you posted.  This will be okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!