New HomeNew About MeNew TutorialsNew Peachy Things

Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Kitchen

Here comes the sun...
 
sunlight on stairs

 
 
And oh how happy are we to see it!
 
Sunlight by door

 
 
I promised my sister that I would post/send pics of the kitchen as we get things done.  I'm such a sucker for her.  I do things for her I would do for no one else.  You hear me? No one.  But she is the best friend I have ever had and a daily kiss from God.
 
When we moved 'to town' 3 years ago we bought our house knowing there were some things we would need to change.  We lived here a full 2 years before we got started on the kitchen.  I was about 8 months pregnant at the time with our surprise Peach.  We changed counter tops, tiled a back splash, and upgraded the double oven and cook top.  (yes, I kept the white dishwasher.  It's a disease).  Somewhere a few months ago we repainted the kitchen a much lighter color.
 
 Kitchen before
 
Everyone (and I mean everyone) encouraged me to paint the cabinets.  I didn't want to paint the cabinets--there was really pretty wood grain showing on them and I knew that once I painted them I could never undo it.  So I dug in my heels.
 
We decided that 2013 would be a year of getting the house closer to what we want it to be.  We are going to finish the kitchen, install garage doors, and possibly change the Saltillo out for hardwoods.  After much discussion I agreed to paint the cabinets.
 
What was I thinking?  Why was I living with country stained wood for 3 years when for $200 and a lot of work I could have fresh cabinets?
 


DSC03450

DSC03451

Then Mr. P even agreed to let me antique/glaze the cabinets--you saw those pics already in my post here.

But just in case you want to see better pics...


Kitchen cabinets
Cabinet antiqued


Yes, that is a toy train whistle on the floor.  It has been there since the first of the year and we have painted around it.  Good grief! 

I'm no expert and have to figure out how to fix some boo boo's...



DSC03449


DSC03448

But we have lefts them un-lacquered for a while to see how well we like it.  What do you think?  Mr. P says they just look dirty to him but if it makes me happy and it's the style, he'll live with it.

Would you leave them just painted (below) or would you go for the antiquing (above)??

DSC03453
cabinet just painted

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!