New HomeNew About MeNew TutorialsNew Peachy Things

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Scipture Pillowcases


So Mother's Day is literally upon us.  I wanted to share the gift I made my step mother because I am so in love with this idea.

I used The Cottage Mama's awesome tutorial here.  It is a quick and easy way to make finished pillowcases without a serger, and to do it in a snap.  I used 1.5 yards of fabric for the main body of the pillowcase, 3/4 of a yard for the band, and 1/4 of a yard for the little contrast.  Remember, this yardage is for a set of 2 cases.

Just a little bit about fabric selection, be careful about the way the pattern runs on your fabric.  This is a damask pattern that reads horizontally, meaning when you have it on the bolt the pattern starts at the top of the bolt and runs to the bottom.  Turn the bolt on it's side, because that is how your finished pillowcase will look.  I didn't do that, so the damask is actually sideways.  Well.

Moving on.

I asked my Dad for a scripture that is meaningful to my stepmother and he suggested Psalm 40.

In the New American Standard it begins:
 
I waited patiently for the Lord;
And He inclined to me, and heard my cry.
He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay;
And He set my feet upon a rock
making my footsteps firm.
And He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
Many will see and fear,
And will trust in the Lord.
 
Psalm 40:1-3
 
 
 U2 sings it beautifully.
 
 
When you are going to embroider anything onto pillowcases, think about how you want the cases to sit on the bed.  Do you want the bands to both be on the same side (ie both on the right side)  or do you want the bands to both be on the inside/outside.  I wanted my bands to be on the outside.  I laid out the finished cases with my seams at the bottom, drew my center lines and made sure I marked the top.  Nina did the rest.
 
 
 
I really like how they turned out. I made a set of these for my grandmother and used her favorite passages.  Instead of picking a verse and splitting it onto 2 cases, I picked the phrases that seemed to sum up the whole of the passage, and embroidered that.  You pick which way to go.
 
 
My little present is wrapped and all ready to go.

Please forgive the stinky picture--it is a picture of a picture.  I never seem to take posed photos much anymore!
 
My friends, I cannot share enough about God's faithfulness.  My Mama's death left this huge hole everywhere.  The Lord graciously placed a new helpmate in Daddy's life and over the past 12 years has knit our hearts together.  I am thankful that Daddy has someone who loves him totally.  I am thankful that I am a daughter to her, though she never claims to be my mother (trust me, that's a big deal--she always gives credit to Mama).  She doesn't have to love me, but she does.  I am thankful that my children have 2 grandmothers who adore them.  I have a new song in my mouth, and it is indeed a song of praise to Him.
 
Happy Mother's Day, CC. Thank you for being a balm to my aching heart and for loving me fiercely. Thank you for being a grandmother to my babies, in every sense of the word. Thank you for faithfully praying for me and for ministering to me. I love you!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!