New HomeNew About MeNew TutorialsNew Peachy Things

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Ariels



This photo says it all.  Mama wanted to grab some photos of the costumes she slaved over made and LJ wanted to go to school already.  Nevermind it was 0815 in the morning and school doesn't start til 0900.  The attempt I made inside the house was even worse...


I only got the halfhearted smile after I threatened her with the fate worse than death--staying home with ME.  I mean, we had already had a little pep talk, reminders of how princesses act, and a small amount of Mama being silly.  C'mon already.

Nonetheless, I persevered.  And again, I was rewarded with not one good picture of both girls in their costumes at the same time.  I'm going to have to buy Photoshop and get real good at using it.

Let's talk about the details....

I started with this pattern.  It only came as small as a 3, which swallows Cate, so I had to chop it down pretty liberally.  I was AMAZED when it actually kinda fit.  I also had to chop about 6 inches off of LJ's and it was supposed to fit by her measurements.  I know why most sewers start with their own pattern but I am still a bit weary of starting with a blank piece of paper.  I would have been more than frustrated if I had paid more than $1 for this little pattern.

Here's a look at the fine print.


Helga came through in a mighty way this year.  I used her to roll all of the edges of the sparkle chiffon I used.  I loved the way the chiffon stood up and I don't think I could have stood it if I had had to roll all those edges using my special little presser foot.  I doubled the sleeve detail and the waist peplum and made the fins from several layers of tulle and chiffon.  We were trying to knock off the Disney Store costume, which was sold out of Cate's size when I finally got talked into buying the costumes this year.  (confused?  LJ wanted me to buy her costume this year and when I priced what it would cost to make the Ariel costume I decided it was not that much more to buy the darn thing and then I could move on to other projects.  When I went to click the button, Cate's size was gone and heaven forbid her costume wasn't just. like. Lillie Jo's.  So we went to plan B).  I pooped out on the bodice detail with a clip on flower from Hobby Lobby.  I planned to sparkle up a seashell but I was sick of it by that time. Because I had to chop LJ's skirt so much, I ended up reworking it twice before it was ok.  Hence the sick of it. I got the bodice trim from Etsy and it was PERFECT.

I actually made the costumes for about $20 a piece.  I used dull satin for the bodice and the tail, chiffon for the peplum and bodice overlay, and sparkle tulle for the fins.  Hancock had all of their special occasion fabrics 40% off and then I also had a 10% off your whole purchase coupon, so it ended up about $30 cheaper to make both costumes.  I may be fudging a little because I had to get the flowers ($3 a piece, maybe?) but still, it did come out cheaper to make it and the fabrics are nice and won't fray.


So I do believe this is the best of the photos.  They look pretty darn cute with the Ariel wigs and crowns from CC but I figured the preschool would prefer not to have to readjust the wigs all morning.  You're welcome Preschool.

I'll add a pic of Aubs when we Trick or Treat tonight.  Yep.  Tonight.  The weather is supposed to be stormy here tomorrow night and so our neighbors graciously agreed to let us descend upon them tonight.

The preschool wasn't completely spared.  The necklace sings and Cate LOVES it.  I push the button, Mama????



Don't mess with me...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!